Our Vaisala solutions contribute to societies and people’s lives in over 150 countries – and can even be found in space. With our technological innovations for measuring weather, environmental and industrial conditions, we have a key role in solving the grand social and environmental challenges of our time. We offer you a career with a clear purpose and a chance to create observations for a better world.
Building on over 80 years of experience, we employ approximately 1,900 professionals worldwide today. We are listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki stock exchange and our headquarters is located in Finland.
Vaisala’s industry-leading weather observation technologies, instruments, and solutions lay the foundation for the Weather and Environment business area’s strategy, enabling our customers to improve their ability to measure and forecast weather and weather phenomena. The business area serves selected weather-dependent customers to whom accurate, real-time, uninterrupted, and reliable weather data is essential to run efficient operations.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Scientist (/Research Scientist) to help pushing forward our optical measurement technologies and products. Are you an expert with deep insights into optical designs with components such as light sources, lenses and detectors? Are you familiar with front-end analog electronics associated with lasers and photodetectors, or do perhaps have experience on how the optomechanical design around the photonics components affects system performance?
We are primarily looking for a senior individual with a holistic view and previous experience on optical design in the context of measurement instruments. Besides optics, interest toward algorithm development and atmospheric remote sensing is highly beneficial. We offer a position in a team of scientists in our Weather Research and Technology unit in Vantaa. This is a team of experts that work on both applied technology research projects as well as product development, covering a broad variety of environmental measurement technologies. Your first tasks would be to familiarize and contribute in design tasks involving our high-end optical offering such as ceilometers.
Based on the level of your background and ambitions to grow, your key responsibilities can include some or all of the following:
- Contribute to the product creation process in a (senior) scientist role, through close collaboration and interaction with product and project managers and other designers, engineers etc. This could include design work but also hands-on lab work, validation of results, and creation of science-based material intended for customer use.
- Work together with our world-class experts to learn “technology owner” level core insights into how measurement instruments work. This could include being on a steep learning curve, being responsible of receiving and digesting complex technical information, in an effort to help spreading one-deep competences.
- Conduct and manage research-based prestudies in coordination with other scientists in an effort to evaluate the potential of completely new technologies or approaches and their application. This typically includes designing and constructing proof-of-concept prototypes and deploying them at field. It also includes interacting with e.g. product managers to link business needs and potential new technologies, and end-to-end thinking.
- Potentially act in a “Science lead” or “Lead designer” type of role in productization projects. This could, for example, contain guiding the work of others together with the project manager.
- Conduct data analysis to resolve issues and enhance product performance.
- Document research-related outcomes through project reports, white papers, and articles.
To be successful in this role, we are searching for a candidate who can tick most of the following qualifications:
- DSc or MSc (Tech.) degree in optical technologies, atmospheric physics, optoelectronics design or equivalent discipline.
- Capability to approach topics holistically and from the end user perspective; being able to understand various optical technologies, hardware, software, and see how different choices in these substance matter areas affect the end results that customers see.
- Expert knowledge of optical design, at least from visible to near infrared, with focus on applications in atmospheric remote sensing. This could, for example, include experience from some or several of the following areas: designing of optical systems involving light sources, lenses and detectors, optical simulations, front-end electronics, or photonics-related mechanics. Experience on algorithm design and data manipulation is a useful addition to the previous set.
- Fluent skills in using optical design programs, such as Zemax, and programming languages, such as Matlab or Python. Solid written and communication skills.
- Ambition to develop new skillsets and extend your areas of expertise over time.
- A proven track record on the order of 3-10 years of working with optics design is highly beneficial.
- Understanding of the methods and procedures for conducting scientific research.
- Ability to travel occasionally, sometimes internationally
We offer you a position in a science team that is oriented not only to applied research, but also to having new innovations productized and available in offering. This position is a view to industrial development, with a number of growth opportunities depending on your own strengths and ambitions. These may include developing your existing technical expertise further, but also networking towards external communities, communication and project management skills, and working on identifying technology development needs.
For further information please contact Science team leader Minttu Tuononen: email@example.com or by phone +358 40 643 1637. Please submit your application with salary request and CV by 17th May 2021 by completing the online application form.
What we offer
Our innovative high-tech business provides opportunities for curious challenge-seekers to make a real difference.
As a part of our global team you can contribute with science and technology to solve the big environmental and societal challenges of our time.
To apply for this job please visit careers.vaisala.com.